No Deductions or too few?

Do you have any deductions you would like to claim?

You can claim up to $300 without receipts, but you cannot just claim $300. You must actually incur any expense before it is claimable. Whilst you may not need receipts for expenditure up to $300 you must have spent the money and it must be relevant to your employment.


Car & Travel:

were you using your car to carry heavy tools or did you need to use your car for work?
Driving from home to work and back is not deductible.
However, if you do use your car for work, like to carry heavy tools for work then you can claim that trip on your Tax Return. Also, if you use your car to go from one place of work to another place of work or use your car for work purposes during work hours then you can also claim that on this years Tax Return. Check out the handy hint and more information on the website below.

Work-related car expenses

If you have used your car for work purposes, please make sure you keep a log book or diary entry of all the Kilometres you have driven, all log books for car purposes have to have been kept for a min of 12 weeks.


Transport expenses

Have you incurred travel expenses, such as public transport, airfares and taxi fares, that are directly related to your work as an employee?
Note that where an employer pays for an airfare, but the employee incurs unreimbursed expenditure for an upgrade (for example, from economy to business class), the cost of the upgrade will be deductible for the employee. Travel to and from work is not deductible.

Parking and tolls

Have you incurred work-related bridge and road toll expenses, or parking fees while travelling for work purposes?



Did you need to supply your own work uniform or buy your own protective clothing for work? Did you have to pay laundry fees to clean your work uniforms or protective clothing? You can claim $150 for washing your clothing without receipts as long as they cost was incurred.
Regular clothing like Jean and black pants and dress shoes are not deductible. Suits, shirts and ties are also not deductible unless they have clear and visible logos on them.

Compulsory uniforms are generally deductible provided they identify you as an employee of that organisation or in a specific occupation. A requirement to simply wear particular colours is not enough to make the clothing deductible (for example a waiter being required to wear black and white clothing) nor is a requirement to wear a store’s own brand of clothing (they are still conventional clothing and not tax deductible). Corporate wardrobes are deductible if certain conditions are met. The uniform design must be registered with AusIndustry. Provided that the clothing is deductible then you may also claim maintenance costs (laundry, dry cleaning and repairs).
Protective clothing, like a chef’s outfit, hi-vis polos and steel cap boots are deductible.

Uniform laundry expenses


Self Education

Have you recently taken a course to further yourself in your career that you have had to pay for yourself? If you have recently taken a course or any training that applies to your current job or will help you move up in your current line of work that you have paid for in your own money than you can claim this on your Tax Return.

Self-education expenses



Did you purchase tool and equipment for over $300. Unfortunately you do not get an immediate deduction, it has to be depreciated. Can you please list your tools clearly with the amount, type or name of tool and the date you purchased them so that we can calculate the depreciation on them?


Magazine/journal subscriptions

Have you incurred expenditure in respect of buying or subscribing to journals, periodicals and magazines that have a content specifically related your employment (and are not general in nature)?


Unions & Associations

Deductions: Have you had to pay for any union fees, subscriptions to trade, business or professional associations? These items are tax deductible, if you have had to pay for any of these in the past tax year then you can claim it on your Tax Return.


Telephone, Internet & Mobile

Do you use your own phone or internet for work purposes, you may be able to claim a deduction. You will need to have paid for these costs and have some records to support your claims. You need to keep records for a 4-week representative period in each income year to claim a deduction of more than $50. These records may include diary entries, including electronic records, and bills. Evidence that your employer expects you to work at home or make some work-related calls will also help you demonstrate that you are entitled to a deduction.

Claiming phone internet in your tax return

Also, if the telephone is not used 100% for income earning purposes, only a proportionate deduction will be allowed. The proportion can be calculated as follows:
Business calls (incoming and outgoing) divided by the Total calls (incoming and outgoing)
As per the above, all mobile phone usage will need to be recorded and proportioned.
If your home telephone is not used 100% for income earning purposes, only a proportionate deduction will be allowed. The proportion can be calculated as follows:
Business calls (incoming and outgoing) divided by the Total calls (incoming and outgoing)
All phone usage will need to be recorded in a time diary.


Conferences & seminars

Have you incurred expenditure relating to the attendance at conferences, seminars, workshops and other work-related events that relate to your income-producing activities?
If so, expenses such as the cost to attend the seminar, travel to/from the seminar, and parking while at the seminar will be deductible. Where you are required to stay away overnight as part of attending the seminar, the cost of meals and accommodation will also be deductible.


Home office expenses

Have you incurred additional running expenses for a home office?
You may be able to claim a deduction by apportioning the actual costs incurred or using a fixed rate per hour. You will need to keep a record of the time spent in your home office on employment activities. The record should cover a representative period and a reasonable time (generally one month).



Have you incurred expenditure for the cost of diaries, pens and other stationery used for work purposes?


Gifts or donations

Did you make a gift or donation of $2 or more to an approved organisation?
Gifts made to ‘bucket collections’ conducted by an approved organisation for natural disaster victims can be deducted without a receipt, where the total of all such donations are no more than $10.


Income protection insurance

Did you incur expenditure on income protection insurance?
You can claim the cost of any premiums you paid for insurance against the loss of your income. This does not include premiums paid under life insurance, trauma insurance and critical care insurance policies.


A time diary

many claims for deductions are made where expenses are for both work and private purposes. These should be apportioned between work and private use. You must establish a pattern of usage that shows a reasonable basis of the calculation if you wish to make a claim. Examples of this would include telephone calls and the use of a home computer.

In order to establish a pattern of usage you should maintain a diary for a period of at least one month for mobiles and home phone offices, and a min of twelve weeks for a car time diary.